10 Jul Episode #33: How to Be a Mighty Parent for Your Teen w/ Sandy Fowler
Is your teen responding with “I don’t know” all the time? Are you stressed out that there are more arguments than peaceful, heart-to-heart conversations? In this episode of Demystifying College Admissions, I am interviewing Sandy Fowler, co-host of the Mighty Parenting podcast, who will be sharing proven and effective strategies for communicating with your teen without all the yelling, shouting, and nagging.
TUNE IN BELOW:
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- What the #1 source of anxiety is for both parents and students
- How anxiety affects our bodies and produces a similar physiological response to encountering a tiger
- Healthy practices that you can implement into your daily life to take care of your emotional health
- An effective way of communication with your child so that he/she can live a happier life and achieve the goals they want
- How you can relieve stress/pressure off of yourself
- How to teach your child to manage their own life
- The best time to start letting go of control over your kids
- A useful tip for what to do immediately with your child when they are stressed out
- How something can look like rebellion but is actually a sign of anxiety
- Effective strategies to breakthrough/interrupt your body’s hormonal/physiological reactions to stress
We really need to understand that our thoughts are not reality; they’re just thoughts.
No human being can make another human being do something.
Validate their feelings because that’s all we all want and stop trying to solve it!
If people are doing everything for us, we have no reason to learn a skill.
If it’s not a safety issue, back off a little and let them handle it.
Parents need to model all the emotionally healthy coping strategies, an emotionally healthy lifestyle, and good communication.
Planning for college takes everything that might be not going well in our home or in our relationship with our kids or with our parents, and it amplifies it.
Take control of your emotional wellness!
You can reduce your stress and anxiety with some very simple steps.
So many of our bad parenting decisions actually come from a place of fear.
- [PODCAST] DCA Episode #3: How To Communicate With Your Teen
- [WEBSITE] Sandy Fowler
- [WEBSITE/PODCAST] Mighty Parenting
- [BOOK] Loving What Is by Byron Katie
- [BOOK] Ending the Parent-Teen Control Battle by Neil D. Brown
- [BOOK] Expectation Hangover by Christine Hassler
- [BOOK] Parenting for the Launch by Dennis Trittin
- [WEBSITE/BOOK] Do It Scared by Ruth Soukup
If you need support with how to find your passion and get accepted into your dream college, click here to book a strategy session with Julie to assess whether you would be a great fit to work with Julie and our team!
IVY LEAGUE/TOP-TIER BOOTCAMP
If you’d like to get started on your own right away and looking for a more affordable option, you can get started by registering for my course, Ivy League/Top-tier Bootcamp for only $997!
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW ON ITUNES
If you enjoyed the episode, consider subscribing on iTunes! You’ll get exclusive notifications when I upload episodes and if I release any bonus episodes, you’ll be the first to know. Click here to subscribe!
If you leave a review on iTunes, I may also give you a special shoutout–click here to leave a review! Be sure to select “Ratings” and then “Write a Review”, and let me know what you enjoyed the most about this episode or if you have any ideas for a future episode.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas! Email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“FREE WORKBOOK: 5 WAYS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR IVY LEAGUE/TOP-TIER COLLEGE APPLICATIONS”
By Julie Kim Ed.M Harvard University